Blogging has become a medium in which many people share their thoughts, opinions, ideas, and information about their interests. I started blogging three and a half years ago, and have learned a thing or two.
I have written 25 suggestions about blogging, and whether you haven’t started to write a blog yet, or already have one, these ideas may be helpful to you.
However, in order to comply with Suggestion #3, all you will see on this page are the main headers. Much more detail, in a printable form, are here at this link (which complies with Suggestion #9.)
Take these suggestions for what you will — my thoughts and ideas, not official direction.
1. Choose a stable blogging platform and stick with it.
2. Know that once a blog is around a while, most visitors will find it via an internet search engine.
3. Limit the length of what you write to what can be read in 30 seconds or so, and if you have more content to write, divide it into parts and publish over several posts.
4. Make it readable.
5. Use images on a blog post where possible.
6. Use visual contrast.
7. Don’t get crazy with changing font size, use bold face, or italics too much.
8. Avoid using an underline in a blog post.
9. Use links in blog posts to provide background, references, citations, or to give readers a link to find more detailed information if they want it.
10. Set commenting to be moderated, not automatic.
11: Allow anonymous commenters within your blog comment policy (see below).
12. From the get-go, establish a blog commenting policy.
13. Follow a reliable and regular posting schedule.
14. Write when you think of it.
15. Have some friends on whom you can rely read certain potential blog pieces for you in advance to provide you suggestions on how to improve it.
16. Use good grammar, spelling, punctuation, and choose the right words for what you wish to say.
17. Give up on feeling you have ownership. You don’t.
18. Post images you own or are clearly in the public domain.
19. Remember that once it’s out there, it’s out there.
20. Create a free account on statcounter.com and embed the code in your blog.
21. Create an interesting, personal image header image, not just words.
22. Remember that some readers are color-blind or color-ignorant.
23. A positive attitude is important.
24. Don’t be a quitter.
25: Finally: Have fun as a writer!
Much more detail on these suggestions are on this page of my website in printable form.
Life is short: have fun blogging!